Energy Efficient Altair Louvre Windows
Altair Louvre Windows offer the following benefits including:
- Increased energy efficiency, health and productivity of building occupants.
- Reduced need for air conditioning to keep the room at a comfortable temperature, saving electricity and the running costs of a building.
- Low U-values required for energy efficiency compliance/excellence.
- Appropriate U-values and ventilation for all climate zones.
To learn more about the benefits of natural ventilation, Breezway has produced a number of Technical Bulletins to assist with your building designs.
- Benefits of natural ventilation
- Ventilation openings of various window types
- The potential advantages of increasing ventilation in schools
- The impact of air infiltration and natural ventilation on annual air conditioning load
Altair Louvre Window
Cross Flow Ventilation
The importance of window placement.
Ventilation openings are often needed in internal walls.
The drawing above illustrates how a ventilation adjustable louvre window between rooms is more efficient than just having external louvre windows alone.
Thermal Chimney Effect
Installing windows up high.
Another good way to naturally cool a room is to place some Altair Powerlouvre Windows up high. This is effective because rising hot air is able to escape the room through the high up louvres, helping to keep the room cool.
Tinted Glass, Timber or Aluminium Louvre Blades
Controlling solar heat gain is important so you can keep out sunlight in summer but let sunlight in during winter to keep the home a comfortable temperature without the need for artificial cooling or heating. Clear glass blades give a high solar heat gain however all windows can use tinted glass to reduce the solar heat gained (SHGC) through windows. A low SHGC indicates that less solar heat is gained through a window, and this is desirable in hot climates and on western orientations. A high SHGC indicates that more solar heat is gained through a window and is desirable in colder climates and on northern orientations.
Altair Louvre Windows can:
- Achieve a Solar Heat Gain Coefficient between 0.1 and 0.72 using glass blades (E.g. Tinted low e glass blades help reduce solar heat gain and provide comparable insulation to double glazing).
- Achieve very little Solar Heat gain by using timber or aluminium louvre blades to completely block out the sunlight while still allowing maximum ventilation through the window.
- Prevent Solar Heat Gain by angling blades while still allowing ventilation.
- Reduce Solar Heat Gain when using metal mesh screens (WERS rated)
Tinted Green Louvre Blades
Timber Louvre Blades
- The living hinge design that resists water and air penetration between the clips and the channels.
- An over centre locking mechanism which applies strong locking pressure to blades when fully closed.
- The IGLU System uses double glazed blades that are capped top and bottom by rubber blade-to-blade seals, embedded into the IGU sealant to provide superior sealing when closed.
Breezway Living Hinge Design
Low U-values allow heat to be transferred through the window slowly, and a high U-value indicates that heat is transferred quickly. The greater the difference between the desired indoor temperature and the outdoor temperature, the more important U-values are. In temperate climates where the outdoor temperatures are seldom extremely hot or extremely cold, the U-value is relatively unimportant.
The U-values of Australian windows range from 2 through to 10. Altair Louvre Windows can achieve rather low U-values (ranging from 2.4 through to 6.9), for example:
- Single glazed Altair Louvres with Low e coatings (or tinted Low e coatings) achieve good U-values that are better than some double glazed windows.
- Double glazed and secondary glazed Altair Louvres with Low e coatings achieve comparable U-values to many uPVC double glazed windows.
- In extremely cold climates, louvre-fixed lite-louvre combination windows are a good way to achieve good ventilation and very low U-values.
- Altair Louvres with metal mesh screens have WERS ratings which significantly reduces the U-value as the glass blades and the screen act in a similar way to double glazing.
To learn more please read the Breezway Technical Bulletin on Dispelling the Double Glazing Myths
Australian Climate Zones
Choose Altair Louvres to best suit your climate
There are a variety of good Altair Louvre Window design principles that can achieve a comfortable indoor climate, save energy used for heating and cooling and meet the energy efficiency requirements of the National Construction Code.
Climate Zone 1, 2 & 3
Hot Summers & Mild/Warm Winters
- Maximise cooling natural ventilation with Altair Louvre Windows.
- Reduce solar heat gain on East, West and South orientations by using toned glazing, glazing with low e coatings, timber or aluminium louvre blades. Increase solar heat gain on Northern orientation.
- Reduce conducted heat gain by using windows with lower U-values.
Climate Zone 4 & 5
Hot Summers & Cool Winters
- Maximise cooling natural ventilation with Altair Louvre Windows.
- Reduce solar heat gain on East, West and South orientations. Increase beneficial solar heat gain on Northern orientation (i.e. Northern windows should have clear glazing to allow high SHGC and shading that allows solar exposure in winter).
- Reduce conducted heat gain and loss by using windows with lower U-values.
Climate Zones 6, 7 & 8
Warm/Hot Summers & Cool/Cold Winters
- Maximise cooling natural ventilation with Altair Louvre Windows.
- Increase solar heat gain on Northern orientation. Reduce solar heat gain on East, West and South orientations (Adding or enlarging Northern windows can improve a home’s energy rating).
- Reduce conducted heat loss by using windows with lower U-values.
For mobile devices: Use your finger to scroll table horizontally.
WERS Certified Products Directory – AFRC (available at https://www.awawers.net/res/reslist/BREEZWAY)
|Blade Type||WERS Windows ID||WERS Glazing Code||WERS Cooling Stars9||WERS Heating Stars9||Uw6||SHGC7||Tvw8|
Breezway Easyscreen Altair Louvre Window System - Single Glazed1
|6mm SolTech Neutral||BRZ-006-11||6SolT Ntl||4.5||0.41||0.48|
|6mm thick clear glass||BRZ-006-01||6Clr||6.2||0.64||0.68|
|6mm thick grey tinted glass||BRZ-006-07||6Gy||6.2||0.51||0.49|
|6mm thick bronze tinted glass||BRZ-006-02||6Bz||6.2||0.48||0.39|
|6mm thick green tinted glass||BRZ-006-06||6Gn||6.2||0.46||0.57|
|6mm thick super green tinted glass||BRZ-006-05||6SG||6.2||0.4||0.5|
|6mm thick clear low E glass2||BRZ-006-08||6LE||4.4||0.47||0.66|
|6mm thick E-Vantage clear glass2||BRZ-006-03||6EVan||4.8||0.48||0.5|
|6mm thick E-Vantage grey tinted glass2||BRZ-006-04||6EVanGy||4.8||0.32||0.21|
Easyscreen Altair Louvre Window System - Single Glazed - 105.6mm Gap - Crimsafe Security Screen on Exterior3
|6mm thick clear glass||BRZ-990-01||6Clr||4.6||0.3||0.27|
|6mm thick grey tinted glass||BRZ-990-07||6Gy||4.6||0.24||0.13|
|6mm thick bronze tinted glass||BRZ-990-02||6Brz||4.6||0.25||0.15|
|6mm thick green tinted glass||BRZ-990-06||6Gn||4.6||0.25||0.23|
|6mm thick super green tinted glass||BRZ-990-05||6SpGn||4.6||0.23||0.2|
|6mm thick clear low E glass2||BRZ-990-08||6ET||3.6||0.25||0.25|
|6mm thick E-Vantage clear glass2||BRZ-990-03||6EVClr||3.7||0.23||0.21|
|6mm thick E-Vantage grey tinted glass2||BRZ-990-04||6EVGrey||3.7||0.2||0.1|
Easyscreen Altair Louvre Window System - Single Glazed - 108.8mm Gap - Invisigard Security Screen on Exterior3
|6mm thick clear glass||BRZ-991-01||6Clr||4.5||0.31||0.28|
|6mm thick grey tinted glass||BRZ-991-07||6Gy||4.5||0.26||0.13|
|6mm thick bronze tinted glass||BRZ-991-02||6Brz||4.5||0.27||0.16|
|6mm thick green tinted glass||BRZ-991-06||6Gn||4.5||0.26||0.24|
|6mm thick super green tinted glass||BRZ-991-05||6SpGn||4.5||0.25||0.21|
|6mm thick clear low E glass2||BRZ-991-08||6ET||3.6||0.26||0.26|
|6mm thick E-Vantage clear glass2||BRZ-991-03||6EVClr||3.7||0.25||0.22|
|6mm thick E-Vantage grey tinted glass2||BRZ-991-04||6EVGrey||3.7||0.21||0.1|
Easyscreen Altair Louvre Window System - Single Glazed - 109mm Gap - Prowler Proof ForceField Security Screen on Exterior3
|6mm thick clear glass||BRZ-992-01||6Clr||4.5||0.31||0.28|
|6mm thick grey tinted glass||BRZ-992-07||6Gy||4.5||0.25||0.13|
|6mm thick bronze tinted glass||BRZ-992-02||6Brz||4.5||0.26||0.16|
|6mm thick green tinted glass||BRZ-992-06||6Gn||4.5||0.26||0.24|
|6mm thick super green tinted glass||BRZ-992-05||6SpGn||4.5||0.24||0.21|
|6mm thick clear low E glass2||BRZ-992-08||6ET||3.6||0.26||0.26|
|6mm thick E-Vantage clear glass2||BRZ-992-03||6EVClr||3.7||0.24||0.22|
|6mm thick E-Vantage grey tinted glass2||BRZ-992-04||6EVGrey||3.7||0.20||0.10|
Breezway Easyscreen Fixed Lite Window System - Single Glazed1
|6mm thick clear glass||BRZ-007-01||6Clr||6.2||0.72||0.76|
|6mm thick grey tinted glass||BRZ-007-07||6Gy||6.2||0.56||0.55|
|6mm thick bronze tinted glass||BRZ-007-02||6Bz||6.2||0.53||0.43|
|6mm thick green tinted glass||BRZ-007-06||6Gn||6.2||0.51||0.64|
|6mm thick super green tinted glass||BRZ-007-05||6SG||6.2||0.44||0.56|
|6mm thick clear low E glass2||BRZ-007-08||6LE||4.1||0.53||0.74|
|6mm thick E-Vantage clear glass2||BRZ-007-03||6EVan||4.5||0.53||0.56|
|6mm thick E-Vantage grey tinted glass2||BRZ-007-04||6EVanGy||4.5||0.35||0.27|
Breezway SL2 Altair Louvre Window System - Single Glazed1
|6mm thick clear glass||BRZ-003-01||6Clr||6||0.72||0.52|
|6mm thick grey tinted glass||BRZ-003-02||6Gy||6||0.5||0.26|
|6mm thick super grey tinted glass||BRZ-003-06||6SpGy||6||0.31||0.05|
|6mm thick bronze tinted glass||BRZ-003-03||6Bz||6||0.54||0.32|
|6mm thick evergreen tinted glass||BRZ-003-04||6EG||6||0.46||0.39|
|6mm thick arctic blue tinted glass||BRZ-003-05||6AB||6||0.46||0.33|
|6mm thick clear low E glass2||BRZ-003-13||6LE||4.1||0.62||0.48|
Breezway Innoscreen Altair Louvre Window System - Single Glazed1
|6mm thick clear glass||BRZ-009-01||6Clr||6.9||0.63||0.63|
|6mm thick grey tinted glass||BRZ-009-02||6Gy||N/A||6.9||0.50||0.46|
|6mm thick green tinted glass||BRZ-009-08||6Gn||N/A||6.9||0.45||0.54|
|6mm thick ever green tinted glass||BRZ-009-09||6EG||N/A||6.9||0.40||0.47|
|6mm thick E-Vantage clear glass2||BRZ-009-04||6EVanClr||5.7||0.48||0.48|
|6mm thick E-Vantage grey glass2||BRZ-009-10||6EVanGy||5.7||0.32||0.23|
|6mm thick EnergyTech clear glass2||BRZ-009-03||6ET||5.5||0.53||0.58|
|6mm thick EnergyTech grey glass2||BRZ-009-07||6ETGy||5.6||0.37||0.28|
|6mm thick SolTech Neutral glass2||BRZ-009-05||6SolTNtl||5.6||0.41||0.45|
|6mm thick Sunergy glass2||BRZ-009-06||6Sn||5.8||0.46||0.48|
Breezway Innoscreen Fixed Lite Window System - Single Glazed1
|6mm thick clear glass||BRZ-008-01||6Clr||6.3||0.73||0.76|
|6mm thick grey tinted glass||BRZ-008-02||6Gy||6.3||0.58||0.55|
|6mm thick green tinted glass||BRZ-008-08||6Gn||6.3||0.52||0.64|
|6mm thick ever green tinted glass||BRZ-008-09||6EG||6.3||0.46||0.56|
|6mm thick E-Vantage clear glass2||BRZ-008-04||6EVanClr||4.7||0.55||0.58|
|6mm thick E-Vantage grey glass2||BRZ-008-10||6EVanGy||4.7||0.36||0.27|
|6mm thick EnergyTech clear glass2||BRZ-008-03||6ET||4.5||0.61||0.69|
|6mm thick EnergyTech grey glass2||BRZ-008-07||6ETGy||4.6||0.41||0.34|
|6mm thick SolTech Neutral glass2||BRZ-008-05||6SolTNtl||4.5||0.47||0.54|
|6mm thick Sunergy glass2||BRZ-008-06||6Sn||4.9||0.52||0.58|
Breezway Altair Louvre Components in a timber frame - Single Glazed1
|6mm thick clear glass||BRZ-005-01||6Clr||4.9||0.58||0.62|
|6mm thick grey tinted glass||BRZ-005-02||6Gy||4.9||0.41||0.29|
|6mm thick super grey tinted glass||BRZ-005-06||6SoGy||4.9||0.25||0.06|
|6mm thick bronze tinted glass||BRZ-005-03||6Bz||4.9||0.44||0.34|
|6mm thick evergreen tinted glass||BRZ-005-04||6EG||4.9||0.37||0.47|
|6mm thick arctic blue tinted glass||BRZ-005-05||6AB||4.9||0.37||0.37|
|6mm thick clear low E glass2||BRZ-005-13||6LE||3.4||0.49||0.57|
|6mm thick Sunergy glass2||BRZ-005-14||6Sn||3.7||0.42||0.48|
Breezway Dualair Altair Louvre System in the Alspec Hunter EVO Acoustic 150mm Frame – Secondary Glazed11
|6mm Clear / 101mm Air Gap / 6mm Clear||BRZ-010-01||6Clr/101/6Clr||3.8||0.46||0.48|
|6mm LowE (#2)10 / 101mm Air Gap / 6mm Clear||BRZ-010-02||6LE/101/6Clr||3.2||0.15||0.14|
|6mm LowE (#2)10 / 101mm Air Gap / 6mm LowE (#2)10||BRZ-010-03||6LE/101/6LE||2.9||0.11||0.05|
|6mm EnergyTech (#2)10 / 101mm Air Gap / 6mm Clear||BRZ-010-04||6ET/101/6Clr||3.4||0.40||0.44|
|6mm EVantage Clear (#2)10 / 101mm Air Gap / 6mm Clear||BRZ-010-05||6EVanClr/101/6Clr||3.4||0.37||0.38|
Breezway Dualair Altair Louvre System in the Alspec McArthur EVO 150mm Centre Pocket Frame – Secondary Glazed11
|6mm Clear / 101mm Air Gap / 6mm Clear||BRZ-011-01||6Clr/101/6Clr||3.4||0.47||0.49|
|6mm LowE (#2)10 / 101mm Air Gap / 6mm Clear||BRZ-011-02||6LE/101/6Clr||2.8||0.14||0.14|
|6mm LowE (#2)10 / 101mm Air Gap / 6mm LowE (#2)10||BRZ-011-03||6LE/101/6LE||2.4||0.10||0.05|
|6mm EnergyTech (#2)10 / 101mm Air Gap / 6mm Clear||BRZ-011-04||6ET/101/6Clr||3.0||0.40||0.45|
|6mm EVantage Clear (#2)10 / 101mm Air Gap / 6mm Clear||BRZ-011-05||6EVClr/101/6Clr||3.0||0.37||0.39|
Breezway Altair IGLU Louvre Components in a Timber Frame – Double Glazed
|5mm Planibel G (#2)10 / 12mm Argon / 5mm Planibel G (#3)10||BRZ-012-01||5PbG/12Ar/5PbG||2.6||0.4||0.43|
Breezway Easyscreen Altair IGLU Louvre Window System – Double Glazed
|5mm Planibel G (#2)10 / 12mm Argon / 5mm Planibel G (#3)10||BRZ-014-01||5PbG/12Ar/5PbG||3.6||0.41||0.44|
Breezway Easyscreen Altair IGU Fixed Lite Window System – Double Glazed
|4mm Clear / 10mm Argon Gap / 4mm Clear||BRZ-015-01||4Clr/10Ar/4Clr||3.4||0.64||0.68|
|4mm Clear / 10mm Argon Gap / 4mm EnergyTech (#3)10||BRZ-015-02||4Clr/10Ar/4ET||2.7||0.60||0.63|
|4mm EnergyTech (#2)10 / 10mm Argon Gap / 4mm EnergyTech (#3)10||BRZ-015-03||4ET/10Ar/4ET||2.6||0.52||0.58|
|4mm Clear / 10mm Argon Gap / 4mm Sunergy (#3)10||BRZ-015-04||4Clr/10Ar/4Sn||2.9||0.57||0.52|
|5mm Clear / 8mm Argon Gap / 5mm Clear||BRZ-015-05||5Clr/8Ar/5Clr||3.5||0.61||0.66|
|5mm Clear / 8mm Argon Gap / 5mm EnergyTech (#3)10||BRZ-015-06||5Clr/8Ar/5ET||2.8||0.57||0.61|
|5mm EnergyTech (#2)10 / 8mm Argon Gap / 5mm EnergyTech (#3)10||BRZ-015-07||5ET/8Ar/5ET||2.7||0.51||0.57|
|4mm Clear / 12mm Argon Gap / 4mm Clear||BRZ-015-08||4Clr/12Ar/4Clr||3.4||0.64||0.67|
|4mm Clear / 12mm Argon Gap / 4mm EnergyTech (#3)10||BRZ-015-09||4Clr/12Ar/4ET||2.6||0.60||0.63|
|4mm EnergyTech (#2)10 / 12mm Argon Gap / 4mm EnergyTech (#3)10||BRZ-015-10||4ET/12Ar/4ET||2.5||0.52||0.58|
|4mm Clear / 12mm Argon Gap / 4mm Sunergy (#3)10||BRZ-015-11||4Clr/12Ar/4Sn||2.8||0.58||0.52|
|5mm Clear / 10mm Argon Gap / 5mm Clear||BRZ-015-12||5Clr/10Ar/5Clr||3.4||0.61||0.66|
|5mm Clear / 10mm Argon Gap / 5mm EnergyTech (#3)10||BRZ-015-13||5Clr/10Ar/5ET||2.7||0.57||0.61|
|5mm EnergyTech (#2)10 / 10mm Argon Gap / 5mm EnergyTech (#3)10||BRZ-015-14||5ET/10Ar/5ET||2.6||0.51||0.57|
|6mm Clear / 8mm Argon Gap / 6mm Clear||BRZ-015-15||6Clr/8Ar/6Clr||3.5||0.60||0.66|
|6mm Clear / 8mm Argon Gap / 6mm EnergyTech (#3)10||BRZ-015-16||6Clr/8Ar/6ET||2.8||0.57||0.61|
|6mm EnergyTech (#2)10 / 8mm Argon Gap / 6mm EnergyTech (#3)10||BRZ-015-17||6ET/8Ar/6ET||2.7||0.50||0.56|
|6mm Clear / 8mm Argon Gap / 6mm EVantage (#3)10||BRZ-015-18||6Clr/8Ar/6EV||2.9||0.51||0.52|
|6mm Clear / 8mm Argon Gap / 6mm Sunergy (#3)10||BRZ-015-19||6Clr/8Ar/6Sn||3.0||0.55||0.51|
|5mm Clear / 14mm Argon Gap / 5mm Clear||BRZ-015-20||5Clr/14Ar/5Clr||3.3||0.61||0.66|
|5mm Clear / 14mm Argon Gap / 5mm EnergyTech (#3)10||BRZ-015-21||5Clr/14Ar/5ET||2.6||0.58||0.61|
|5mm EnergyTech (#2)10 / 14mm Argon Gap / 5mm EnergyTech (#3)10||BRZ-015-22||5ET/14Ar/5ET||2.5||0.51||0.57|
|6mm Clear / 12mm Argon Gap / 6mm Clear||BRZ-015-23||6Clr/12Ar/6Clr||3.3||0.60||0.66|
|6mm Clear / 12mm Argon Gap / 6mm EnergyTech (#3)10||BRZ-015-24||6Clr/12Ar/6ET||2.6||0.57||0.61|
|6mm EnergyTech (#2)10 / 12mm Argon Gap / 6mm EnergyTech (#3)10||BRZ-015-25||6ET/12Ar/6ET||2.5||0.50||0.57|
|6mm Clear / 12mm Argon Gap / 6mm EVantage (#3)10||BRZ-015-26||6Clr/12Ar/6EV||2.7||0.52||0.52|
|6mm Clear / 12mm Argon Gap / 6mm Sunergy (#3)10||BRZ-015-27||6Clr/12Ar/6Sn||2.8||0.55||0.51|
Ratings by co-principal developer of WERS Dr Peter Lyons
Based on WERS calculation methodology but beyond current AFRC procedures (not available at https://www.awawers.net, only available at www.breezway.com.au)
Breezway Easyscreen Altair Louvre Window System - Single Glazed4
|14mm thick Western Red Cedar timber 5||4.39||0.095||0|
|6mm thick hollow extruded aluminium5||6.55||0.076||0|
- Results disclosed at Australian Fenestration Rating Council (AFRC) regulations.
- These blades have a microscopically thin low emissivity coating that is invisible to the naked eye and improves insulation and reduces solar heat gain.
- Results disclosed in Standard International Units. Results calculated to the procedures of WERS Screen Rating Methodology, 2012.
- These ratings are not authorised WERS ratings and should be regarded as a research report, they have been generated using the WERS calculation methodology but are beyond current AFRC procedures. Calculated performance indices are suitable for comparison with information on the WERS database.
- As the optical properties of cedar timber and aluminium are not contained in the International Glazing Databse (IGDB), known, default properties were used.
- Uw is the whole window U-value.
- SHGCw is the whole windows solar heat gain co-efficient.
- Tvw is the whole window visible (light) transmittance.
- Star ratings calculated using Nationwide House Energy Rating Software (AccuRate) according to procedures of WERS 2008.
- Numeric values next to Low E glasses e.g. (#2) and (#3) refer to the coated surface of the glazing layer. Secondary glazing figures are treated as two individual glass layers with two surfaces each. Double glazed figures are treated as a single unit with four surfaces. Surfaces counted externally to internally.
- The glazing is reported in the same orientation as it is simulated so that the outside is always on the left, inside is always on the right.
Static Performance (Uw SHGCw Tvw Tdw) calculated using Window 6.3 and Therm 6.3 software (LBNL), 1999-2010.