Cubby House, An Award Winning Abode
Sunshine Beach, Queensland, Australia
Affectionately known as the cubby house, Chris Clout from Chris Clout Design sought to capitalise on space within his own property block. His desire to create an outdoor retreat with all of the luxuries is clearly visible in this design. The separation from the house via a timber bridge gives the bedroom a private and special feel. Decked out with high quality finishes at every turn including Altair Louvre Windows by Breezway, this space oozes a luxurious vibe reminiscent of some of the top 6 star resorts Chris has visited on his travels. The rooftop terrace also now captures 360° ocean and hinterland views as well as beautiful sunset views which were not visible prior to construction.
Set across two buildings, the home provides comfort all year-round, as the original front residence is perfect in winter with an eco-smart fireplace, while the rear building epitomizes the very best in indoor/outdoor summer living.
Energy efficient Breezway Louvres can be found in the bedroom space with timber blades installed to provide privacy when required, yet still open wide to let fresh air filter into the home and circulate throughout the house. In the bathroom, top level louvres have glass blades to allow natural light to flood the area and reduce the need for artificial lighting while timber blades are used in the more open spaces to once again provide privacy from prying eyes for occupants when showering or in the bath tub.
Its rare layout and optimal fit out provides many luxurious nooks and spaces, be it entertaining, relaxing or sleeping, making it an ideal holiday investment for those seeking a home to attract repeat customers.
Building Designers’ Association of Queensland (BDAQ):
- 2014 – National Design Awards – National Alliance of Building Designers (NABD) – QLD Finalist
- 2014 – Queensland Building Design Awards – Residential Alterations & Additions $150, 000 to $300, 000
- 2010 – Queensland Building Design Awards – Regional Design Awards: Best Commercial Interior
- 2010 – Queensland Building Design Awards – Regional Design Awards Commendation: Best Pool or Water Feature
- 2010 – Queensland Building Design Awards – Regional Design Awards: Best Pool or Water Feature
- 2010 – Queensland Building Design Awards – Regional Design Awards: Commercial Interiors
Project Date – May 2012
Building Designer – Chris Clout
Chris Clout Design
Photographer – Patrick Oberem
Blue Fish Imaging